Immanence is not, for Deleuze, a relational term. For Deleuze, as for Michel Foucault albeit in a very different register , to be committed to immanent inquiry is to be committed to a form of radical empiricism that does not assume the figuration of thought as a set of preexisting subjects and objects.
It cannot, precisely, be either religious or irreligious.
To already delimit the terms of immanent inquiry as irreligious would be to immediately reinscribe it within boundaries that it calls into question. Such a reinscription would reintroduce the transcendent, this time as a set of secular humanist, rather than theological, categories.
For Deleuze, the plane of immanence precedes the subject-object structure. From the immanent plane arise subjects, to be sure, but also a multiplicity of gods. Indeed, some recent work in philosophy indicates that some of our most central resources for thinking about such an immanent approach to thinking are themselves religious thinkers. A further reason that it would behoove us to consider immanence outside of tired debates about secularism and religion is due to the warning that Nietzsche poses in much of his work, and that Deleuze clarifies.
In the Genealogy of Morality , Nietzsche warns us of the danger of killing God, and simply putting man in his place.
In the fields of contemporary philosophy and political science, it is not religion that prevents immanent inquiry, but rather the ascription of immanence to someone. The ascription of the immanent to the irreligious is already a transcendent move, delimiting the formation of secular subjects, and pushing the religious to a transcendent outside. Indeed, in a world of liberal political philosophy whose baseline is self-sufficient subjects, autonomous beings making decisions for themselves, it is to the religious that we should turn—to the limit of secular transcendence—if we are to recapture the immanent tradition today.
Product details Format Paperback pages Dimensions x x Other books in this series.
plane of immanence
Add to basket. The Priority of Events Dr.
- Climate Change and Economic Development: SEA Regional Modelling and Analysis.
- The Skin in Systemic Autoimmune Diseases, Volume 5 (Handbook of Systemic Autoimmune Diseases).
- Elements of Intuitionism;
- The Vertigo of Immanence: Deleuze's Spinozism!
- Immanence - Deleuze and philosophy - WRAP: Warwick Research Archive Portal.
- Immanence - Deleuze and Philosophy.
- Hacking Exposed: Web Applications (3rd Edition).
Immanence - Deleuze and Philosophy de Beistegui. History and Becoming Dr. Returning to Revolution Thomas Nail. Rating details.
Book ratings by Goodreads. Goodreads is the world's largest site for readers with over 50 million reviews.
Immanence and anarchist ethics
Levi R. Bryant - - Northwestern University Press. Events of Difference. Added to PP index Total views 15 , of 2,, Recent downloads 6 months 1 1,, of 2,, How can I increase my downloads?
- Choosing Excellence in Public Schools: Where Theres a Will, Theres a Way (New Frontiers in Education).
- Sisterhood Questioned: Race, Class and Internationalism in the American and British Womens Movements c. 1880s - 1970s.
- Troubleshooting and maintenance guide for gas chromatographers?
- Pierre Gassendi and the Birth of Early Modern Philosophy.
- Immanence: Deleuze and Philosophy.
- Bibliographic Information.
- Play in Child Development and Psychotherapy: Toward Empirically Supported Practice (Leas Personality and Clinical Psychology).
- plane of immanence?
- Theatres of Immanence.
- The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins (Writers Reference)?
- Plane of immanence - Wikipedia?
Sign in to use this feature. No keywords specified fix it. Gilles Deleuze in Continental Philosophy categorize this paper. Applied ethics.
History of Western Philosophy. Normative ethics. Philosophy of biology. Philosophy of language. Philosophy of mind. Philosophy of religion. Science Logic and Mathematics.